Re: RS232-to-USB adapter with dial-up modem

On 2010-09-17 13:28:52 -0700, S D wrote:
> On Fri, 9/17/10, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No. Anything in particular I should try? Thanks
> >
> > Nonthing special. Well, just that you can establish a dialog with
> > your modem by sending AT commands and even place calls. And
> > minicom is perfect for that :-)
>
> Here's a couple of other things I tried. I replaced
>   /dev/ttyS0
> with
>   /dev/ttyUSB0
> in  /etc/ppp/peers/provider.
>
> Still getting "Connect script failed" error:
>
> Tried minicom. Minicom doesn't seem to allow me to type any commands
> and seemingly responds only to "Ctrl A Z". Here's what I see when
> minicom starts.
>
> Welcome to minicom 2.3

> Compiled on Feb 24 2008, 16:35:15.
> Port /dev/ttyUSB0
>
>                  Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

What are you using to try to dial out?

I always used wvdial. What I would suggest, if you haven't tried it,
is to install wvdial. As part of the installation, it will try to
detect and configure the modem.

You can re-run the configuration at any time by doing:

   sudo wvdialconf

Check /etc/wvdial.conf to see if it found anything for your modem. If
it did, fill out the phone number, user name, password, then try to
dial out:

    sudo wvdial

Just a basic idea, maybe one you already tried.

Phil