Re: Occasional random cursor movement while typing

Elmer E. Dow wrote:

Ouch!  Since I struggled through reading it I will quote more of the
original message here for the rest of us.

> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I am confident it is the touchpad.  I have the same problem.
> Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
> A little research resulted in my finding instructions to add the
> following to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in order to enable SHMConfig:
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "enable synaptics SHMConfig"
>         MatchIsTouchpad "on"
>         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>         Driver "synaptics"
>         Option "SHMConfig" "on"
> EndSection

Oh, yes, I had forgotten about the need to do that.

> In typing the above, I discovered what's happening!!!!!
>
> The cursor jumped again as I was typing the "t" in "little." I tried to
> replicate what I was doing and discovered that it's not the touchpad
> that I'm touching but the left clicker key situated in front of the
> touchpad. The return spring under that key has become weak and mushy
> over seven or eight years of almost daily service. As I reach to strike
> the "r" and "t" keys I sometimes brush the clicker key with the bottom
> of the lower thumb knuckle of the left hand. When that happens, the&nbsp;
> cursor jumps to wherever the&nbsp; mouse pointer happens to be and enters
> the character there.
>
> I need to be careful to keep my left hand farther above the keys while
> typing. It would also be helpful to replace the spring under the left
> clicker key. (This diagnosis also explains why the problem has grown
> worse with age.)
>
> Thanks to all for your patience and advice.

I am glad to hear that you have resolved the problem!  (And maybe
someone else will find the syndaemon information useful anyway.)

Bob