Re: ext3 file system

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:45:52 -0400
Frank <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:39:17 -0400 (EDT)
> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:51:12 -0400 (EDT), Frank wrote:
> > > One thing I noticed...in Ubuntu's fstab, sda2 is referred to as
> > > "/dev/sda2" while the Ubuntu partition is referenced by the UUID..I
> > > wonder if this is a problem ?
>
> > It shouldn't be a problem, as long as the UUID is correct.  If the partition
> > has been re-formatted since /etc/fstab was created, the
> > UUID might have changed.  Verify that the UUIDs match.
>
>   I have already done that.
>
> > be confusing udev/blkid.  But the first thing to try is manually
> > umounting the file system in Ubuntu before shutdown.

    Further to this problem (I'm getting tired of re-booting)...I have
tried copying mail in SYlpheed from Ubuntu (sda3) to Squeeze (sda2)
several times..with and without manually unmounting sda2 before
rebooting. If I unmount sda2 before rebooting after moving mail ,
there is no problem. Squeeze reboots without finding fs errors. If I
don't manually unmount sda2 orphaned nodes are found when squeeze
reboots. Yet when Ubuntu reboots, one of the messages is local file
systems unmounted !! It seems Ubuntu is unmounting sda3, but not
sda2. I guess this now belongs on the Ubuntu list ??

Thanks

--
-- Frank --