Re: Package Name Confusion

PRAKHAR gaur wrote:
--Forwarded Message Attachment--
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:38:05 -0700
From: field.engineer@gmail.com
To: prakhar_aaidu16@hotmail.com; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Package Name Confusion

Yes Prakhar, please tell us what you're wanting to do?
My guess is you are wanting to build a kernel?

I am trying to use a tutorial at Linux.com to build a Kernel Module.
http://www.linux.com/learn/linux-career-center/23685-the-kernel-newbie-corner-your-first-loadable-kernel-module

The author mentions some development packages are needed, I got two of them "build-essentials" and "module-init-tools".
He mentions another package called as "kernel-devel" in Fedora. I wanted to know what is the similar package in Debian?

If this succeeds then there are more tutorials on building a Kernel, will move onto them.

Thanking you,
Prakhar

See if this helps: Building Kernel Modules With Module-Assistant On Debian Lenny
 www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-01-27-033-35-OS-DB-KN
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263