Re: new squeeze-again

On 9/10/2010 8:22 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:32:20AM +0100, Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:
On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 01:59 -0400, Doug wrote:
Trying to install.  I come to the partitioner.  It says there is 261 GB
available.  (This is empty, unpartitioned and unformatted space, left
over after cloning drive from a smaller one.)  On-screen instructions say

[!!] Partition disks

The maximum size for this partition is 261.6 GB

Hint: "max" can be used as a shortcut to specify the maximum size, or
enter a percentage (e.g. "20%") to use that percentage of the
maximum size.

I try to enter 30 GB<Continue>  and get "invalid size<go back>"
so I go back, then I try to enter 15% and get the same answer.

What now?  (Max is not an option.)

this never happened to me... can you take some pictures and publish them
on some server... I'dd like to see that problem...

also the screen with the list of partitions and filesystems found...

it's strange...

Could it be that he already has 4 primary partitions on his disk?  If
this is the case, he won't be able to create another partition no matter
how much free space is available.

-Rob

The partition table (fdisk -l from PcLOs):

Device		Start	End.....(Blocks)....Id	System

/dev/sda1	   1	3961                 7	NTFS
/dev sda2       3962	7113  		     5	Extended
/dev/sda5       3962	5529                83	Linux
/dev sda6       5530	5715                82	Linux swap/Solaris
/dev/sda7       5716	7113                83	Linux

(block sizes deleted)

Seems to me that sda5, sda6, sda7 are all on the extended partition sda2, but maybe I've got it wrong? If I'm correct, as would seem to
be the case based on the start/end numbers, then what else am I
doing wrong?  Do I have to separately create a partition to put the
new system on? I thought that squeeze would create it itself.

--doug

PS to the responder who asked for pictures--I don't know how to copy
a screen from an installation disk, and I have no place to put the
result anyway.  I thought my printed explanation was clear, was it not?
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley