Re: making the web server also a dns server

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 03:13:26 +0530, Siju George wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> AFAIK, in your domain name settings, you can use the FQDN or the IP as
>> nameserver.
>>
>> In your bind9 configuration file you have to point "ns1.livingwaters-
>> international.org" to your IP address.
>>

> Thank you so much for the reply so that means in the howto
>
> http://langfeldt.net/DNS-HOWTO/BIND-9/DNS-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.2
>
> $TTL 3D
> @               IN      SOA     ns.linux.bogus. hostmaster.linux.bogus.
> (
>
> in place of "ns.linux.bogus." i put "ns1.livingwaters-
> international.org."
>
> so what do I put in place of "hostmaster.linux.bogus." ?

hostmaster.livingwaters-international.org.

Or whatever your e-mail address is ;-)

It is very well explained in the link you sent:

"Two things must be noted about the SOA record. ns.linux.bogus must be a
actual machine with a A record. It is not legal to have a CNAME record
for the machine mentioned in the SOA record. Its name need not be `ns',
it could be any legal host name. Next, hostmaster.linux.bogus should be
read as hostmaster@linux.bogus. This should be a mail alias, or a
mailbox, where the person(s) maintaining DNS should read mail frequently.
Any mail regarding the domain will be sent to the address listed here.
The name need not be `hostmaster', it can be your normal e-mail address,
but the e-mail address `hostmaster' is often expected to work as well."

Greetings,

--
Camaleón