No virtual terminals

Running squeeze.  I have NVidia video.  Problem is, I have no virtual
8terminals.  ctrl-alt-f1 to 6 gets me a blank screen, although c-a-f8 (yes,
f8) does bring back X.  I've looked for solutions but nothing I've found
works.  E.g., I created /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc.conf with one line -
options nvidia NVreg_UseVBios=0.  Still, I got nada.

Any hints, pointers, etc. greatly appreciated.

--
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My
opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them.