Re: xset command setting not sticking

>I'd put a zenity line in there ( zenity --info --text "Run from .xinitrc" )
>that will wait for you to press 'ok'
I tried it. I do get the dialog box but after clicking "OK" I get the dialog saying:
"Your last session only lasted for less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem."

and then it logs me out to the GDM login screen again.

Upon viewing .xsesson-errors file I see just one line:

"/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup..."

Please not that I entered the zenity command in .xinitrc file and then I did:

ln -s .xinitrc .xsession

in order to make GDM read the file. It seems that GDM honors .xsession file and not .xinitrc [1].

Also at this point no matter what command I give in .xsession (basically .xinitrc) I do get the "Your last session..." message and the system logs out. It seems that GDM is trying out to log out of GNOME as soon as processes the .xsession file.

Not sure what's wrong here...

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomXSession#Sample%20~/.xinitrc%20File