Re: Dumping terminal contents to a file

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 12:52:05 -0400 (EDT), Alois Mahdal wrote:

> I wonder if there's  a simple  and universal way  to dump output
> of terminal to a file, particularly for demonstration purposes.
>
> Most  of the time when  I need to  do that,  I either use  X (or
> PuTTY, when on Windows) facilities, but often it's not possible,
> or  it may become awkward  (due to need  to switch between mouse
> and keyboard).
>
> I know  there  are  things  like 'screen',  but  I'm looking for
> the most universal solution that would work on every system.
>
> For example, on SUSE, I can:
>
> cat /dev/vcs > example.txt
>
> (...though  it's catted as a single  line with  *all*  spaces up
> to $COLS (meaning, e.g. that each--even empty--line would appear
> as $COLS 0x020-spaces), so it needs some post-processing.)
>
> ...but that didn't work on Debian/Lenny for me.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> (Extra  bonus  points  for  linux-osx-freebsd-unicode-compatible
> version. :-D)

Well, for recording a shell session, there is "script".
And to play it back later, there is "scriptreplay".
Both tools are from package bsdutils, which is a required
package and is marked essential in Debian.

I don't know if that's what you want, though.  script puts
*everything* in the capture file, including linefeeds,
backspaces, ANSI escape sequences, etc.  For example,
colorized output from "ls" results in ANSI escape sequences.
Commands which produce full-screen output, such as ncurses-based
applications, vi, etc. result in lots of "garbage" output.
It works best when running commands which produce pure line-mode
output.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :