Re: Unicode Character key-in problem

John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> writes:

> On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:47:44 -0700
> Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> dijo:
>
>>That is why we were talking about the Compose and AltGr keys.  I have a
>>US keyboard and I just press the Compose key followed by "s" and "s" to
>>get ß.  Similarly, I can press Compose "'" and "a" to get á.  The AltGr
>>key will also allow access to alternate values of individual keys by
>>holding down the AltGr key and pressing another key.  For the
>>US-international layout, the AltGr-a combination will give á, AltGr-s
>>gives ß, AltGr-/ gives ¿.  I am using unicode, but it works for all
>>characters that the charset and locale allow.
>
> I have a US keyboard and I do not have an AltGr key. I do have two Alt
> keys, one on either side of the spacebar, but neither works as you
> describe. However, in Linux Ctrl-Shift-u plus the unicode value enters
> any character contained in the font.
>
> How did you get a US keyboard with an AltGr key?

As others have already commented, I just reassigned some of the keys.  I
assigned the right windows key to be Compose and the left windows key to
be AltGr.  I use KDE and just use the Keyboard Layout section of
settings to specify them as Xkb options.  I am sure that Gnome has
something similar, and probably other windowing environments as well.
They actually just run the setxkbmap command to update the keyboard
mapping that X11 uses.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org