Re: starting SWAT after installation on Debian 5.0.6 Lenny

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:38:45 -0700, David Christensen wrote:

> I am running a Debian 5.0.6 Lenny desktop machine.  I wanted to share
> some files and a printer over the LAN with Linux, BSD, and/or Windows
> machines.  So, I installed Samba and SWAT.  Browsing to localhost:901
> (with Iceweasel) yielded "Failed to Connect" errors.
>
> RTFM, STFW, vi /etc/inetd.conf, vi /etc/services, find /etc -name
> "*swat*", find /var/log -name "*swat*", grep swat /var/log/*, etc. -- no
> luck.
>
> On a hunch, I rebooted the machine and SWAT now works.

Is it still working?

> What would have been the steps to start SWAT without rebooting?  Where
> is this documented?  Why doesn't the swat package do so when installed?
>   Is this a feature or a bug?

Maybe beacuse inetd service was not running/configured the first time :-?

OTOH, I think SWAT is being unmaintained (or so it says Debian package
description for squeeze) and you should avoid using it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón