Re: Invalid option when trying to mount the volume

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:35:06 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Alexander Batischev wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 08:33:02AM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

>>> Thanks. Well, I found the key under /dev/disk/by-id/. After having
>>> typed the aforementioned command, I get `mount: unknown filesystem
>>> type 'ntfs-3g'.' Any idea?
>>>

>> Oh, excuse me! That's my fault - I forgot to mention that you should
>> have ntfs-3g, which is a NTFS driver for Linux, installed in system.
>> Just install package with the same name and try mount command again.
>>
>> There is also a possibility that you have ntfs driver (AFAIK, that one
>> lacks support for writing) - if you don't want to install anything and
>> you don't need writing, you may check out that one (simply use 'ntfs'
>> instead of 'ntfs-3g' in the 'mount' command I wrote before).
>>
> I just installed the mentioned package, and simply plugging in the USB
> key shown me its content. Thanks a lot. Actually, I had installed
> `ntfsprogs' and `dosfstools' without checking that they were actually
> not ntfs drivers, but mere utilities. I should have realized that I had
> not the ntfs-3g driver. But why isn't that already installed with a
> basic install?

I think you can get a list of currently supported file systems for your
kernel and loaded modules by issuing "cat /proc/filesystems".

Full kernel list of available file systems is under:

/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/fs/

BTW, "ntfs-3g" is not installed by default (I do not have it).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón