Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:24:23 -0400
"B. Alexander" <xxx> wrote:

> I tried chrome once, and really wasn't impressed with it. First of
> all, it didn't play nicely with my kde4 desktop, had its own
> fisher-price looking borders

Those can be easily fixed if you're under a GTK environment. It steals
from GTK2 pretty nicely except for the tabs, which I don't mind.

> I also wonder how much of my browsing experience that google is
> caching and phoning home.

I know it sounds odd, but /none/.

The whole scariness of "omg it sends everything you type to
google!!!!11" is a /crock of steam/. The logic is as follows:

1. User starts typing into the Unibox
2. if it looks like a URL, check if the local history has it. If so,
return those.
3. when no more results are available from the local history, query the
URI against the search provider given in the preferences*
4. if it looks like a URL (that is, beginning with a URI scheme that we
understand), go there. Otherwise, return the search page of the search
provider with the entry as the query.

> I know I use gmail, though I have been reconsidering that as
> well...Since it has been almost painfully slow the past month or so...

Do you use the web interface or a POP3/IMAP interface? The web
interface is painfully slow, yes, and most of the time I keep it
together with some very carefully crafted userscripts.

As someone who's a bit of a security freak

- --
Morgan Gangwere
"We have forgotten the light at the end of the tunnel. It is out for
maintenance"

* MS FUD of the year: They claim that when you use Chrome, everything is
  by default sent to google. under Windows, however, Chrome tries to
  pick up the search provider that is "default" in the default browser's
  settings. On windows most of the time, this happens to be IE, which
  therefore means Bing.