Re: stable Debian+php4

Hi, David:

On Tuesday 07 September 2010 15:08:22 David Oros wrote:
>    Hello,
>
> I would like to ask, how to deal with this problem: I cannot stop using
> php4 because of some apps from about 100 customers, so I need stable
> Debian with php4 in it.

No, you don't need it; you just want it.  PHP4 is preparing its EOL from 2007!
You had time more than enough to tell your customers "time for migration".

> My idea is to install stable lenny debian and
> compile php4 from source, but I do not want to use it - only as a last
> chance.

Do you mean you don't want to compile PHP4 or that you don't want to use PHP4
but as a last resort?  I don't think you can get rid of compiling PHP4 for
Lenny, but for the second part, you may install PHP4 on just a machine (or a
bunch of them) and then only move customers to those machines on demand.

> Question is: how to have stable upgradeable debian with php4?

You are on your own.  You'll need to compile PHP4 by yourself and probably
package it, if you plan to have a bunch of machines like that.  You may be
lucky in that Stable Debian doesn't add functional changes so you *may* be
able to just upgrade Debian as packages come without problems... or you may
find problems, who knows: you are your own QA team now.

Thinking out-of-the-box, is obvious that customers still using PHP4 don't give
a damn about security nor maintenance so you might support'em *at their own
risk* by offering them an Etch install (which is EOLed too) for their apps.
You "just" need to properly isolate your Etch environments from the others
(firewalls, VLANs, etc.) and make damn sure they understand that anything
that happens to their sites is their sole responsibility.

Cheers.