Re: Recording A/V from embedded Flash player

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 15:20:16 -0400 (EDT)
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, Celejar wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a general solution to record audio and video from Flash
> > players embedded in webpages.  I've searched the web, but not found any
> > really general solution.  Some Flash video players save a .flv file
> > under /tmp, and that's great, since I can just copy it somewhere else
> > (sometimes it's necessary to do this before the video finishes (pausing
> > it if necessary), since it disappears on completion, but usually it
> > remains there indefinitely).  Obviously, anything that uses a mms: url
> > is manageable, since I can then feed that url to mplayer or vlc and
> > instruct them to capture / dump it.  But what to do when neither of
> > these is the case, and AFAICT the player is using some proprietary
> > protocol to communicate with the server?
> >
> > I'm interested in audio and video, but primarily the former.  Now,
> > obviously the Flash code isn't providing its own HW drivers, so it must
> > be talking to the ALSA and video subsystems, so shouldn't there be some
> > way to instruct ALSA to dump the audio to a file?
> >
> > Any help, ideas, leads will be much appreciated
>
> When I need to just capture the audio from something I use audacity.

I've never used audacity before, but installing it and looking around a
bit, it seems that its recording features are designed for recording
from some external source.  I want to intercept the signal from the
Flash player to the internal sound subsystem.  I really don't want to
resort to utilizing the "analog hole", and capture the signal after
feeding back the analog output into the system.  Can audacity be
configured to just grab the digital sound that the Flash player is
sending to the sound subsystem?

> Alternately you can look at the webpage source and see what the file
> name is of the flash and see if you can get it with wget.  Or try a
> firefox extension that will download and save as an mp4.

As I tried to explain in my original post, many sites implementing
Flash players don't show anything like an actual standardized a/v url,
just a link to a Flash player, which, AFAICT, then gets, by mysterious
means best known to itself, the actual a/v data from a server.  In such
cases, the plugins (at least the various ones that I've tried) are
useless, too.

Celejar