Re: Squeeze System "Bricked" after Software Upgrades 09/04

On 09/04/2010 11:07 AM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
Not an exact solution, but perhaps you should not run testing as a
desktop:  http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-choosing.en.html

Not meant to be snarky, just trying to say testing is for testing.

I understand what you're saying, but I made the switch to testing for a lot of reasons having to do with application functionality and (of course) curiosity. Besides, Debian testing has been a lot more solid for me on these systems than Ubuntu LTS was for me! It's all relative.

;-)

I take good care of my data, so even the worst a total system meltdown can do is to cost me a couple of hours configuration time. I love Squeeze partially because it's giving me a chance to see and work through an occasional issue. I've been able to troubleshoot my way through almost all of the problems I've run into using the man files and other references.

Now, on to something more helpful:  can you boot the machine into a live
distro of some sort, to verify that the machine it's self does not have
a failure?

I'll have to do a bit of rearranging to do that. It will probably be a couple of hours before I can try. I have to say that a hardware issue doesn't seem likely. It would be a heck of a coincidence. But I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,
Gilbert