Re: Stop dhclient from adding a default gateway

On 09/03/2010 02:09 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
David A. Parker wrote:
I have a Debian Lenny box with two NICs, eth0 and eth1. eht1 is a
trunking interface and can be put onto any VLAN.  Whenever eth1 is
put onto a VLAN, I want it to get an address from DHCP but I do
*not* want it to set a default gateway.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By coincidence I have been hacking on these scripts today too...

The dhclient-script sets the route.  If you want to prevent it then
you will have to either prevent dhclient-script from setting it or to
remove it after it has been set.

Thanks, Bob. I had looked at dhclient-script and realized that it was the culprit, but I was hoping to avoid hacking up that script. I tried adding a line to my post-up script to remove the default route, like so:

route del -net 10.5.2.0/24 gw 0.0.0.0 dev vlan52

But this removes the static route instead! I don't know why it's behaving like that.

It appears that I can delete both routes, but only in a certain order. I can only delete the default route once the static route is gone. And if I don't have any routes for that network, "route" won't let me add the static route unless a default route is already there. I have to add the default route first, and then I can add the static one. So, if I stop dhclient from adding the default route, it seems like this would prevent my post-up script from being able to add the static route.

I'm very confused by this. Does the kernel absolutely require a default route for every network the host is on? Because that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

    Thanks,
    Dave

--

Dave Parker