RE: How to resume USB hubs

Thank you Camaleón for your answer. I found the following suggestion to switch of the autosuspend option for usb devices somewhere:
# modprobe usbcore autosuspend=-1

That's why I mentioned this module.

It seems that this usbcore is something different than "ehci_hcd" and "uhci_hcd", at least in some conversations with similar topics "usbcore" and "ehci_hcd" appear both with "usbcore" having the autosuspend option. But I don't know. I did not find any information about possible options to ehci_hcd.

Hah! Got it!

While writing this I tried some more and now I've got my usb hubs back. Simply removed the modules and loaded them back again:
# rmmod uhci_hcd
# rmmod ehci_hcd
# modprobe ehci_hcd
# modprobe uhci_hcd

(In fact I did it twice, because I read somewhere that the order matters, ehci_hcd should go first, and accidently I did it the other way around first, don't know if that matters.)

So now, I know, how to get the usb hubs back again. What I still don't know is why they shut down in the first place. But I try to work that out a little later. There is still no power/autosuspend or power/level file under /sys/bus/usb/devices/...

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction,
Cheers, Gero.