Re: What is the best way to migrate a server to new hardware?

Martin Kraus wrote:

> Isn't using tar the easiest way? boot from finnix iso, create
> software raid,lvm or whatever you need, then tar one system with
> --numeric-owner parameter and pipe it through ssh to the destination
> system.  mount --bind /dev to the new system, chroot into it,
> install grub and restart.

As I said before there isn't one canonically correct way.  Different
people will have their favorite methods.  In this case the concept of
cloning the filesystem is the same.  One just uses tar and ssh and
other uses rsync and ssh.  Neither is wrong and neither is The One
True way.  A third person might like cpio over tar.  A forth person
might like dd.  A fifth person might like 'mondo', which I am a little
surprised that no one mentioned yet.

Bob