Re: What is the best way to migrate a server to new hardware?

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 10:13:49AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Aniruddha wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > I like booting the new machine with a live cdrom and then using rsync
> > > to clone the old system onto the new system's disk over the network.
> > > Then install grub and boot the new system.
> >
> > > At other times I will move the new disks onto the old system, mount
> > > them and do the copy locally, then move them back into the new machine
> > > and boot it.

Isn't using tar the easiest way? boot from finnix iso, create software
raid,lvm or whatever you need, then tar one system with --numeric-owner
parameter and pipe it through ssh to the destination system.
mount --bind /dev to the new system, chroot into it, install grub and restart.

mk