Re: Problems mounting cdrom

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 16:38:31 -0400 (EDT), Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> I just removed from the case of my PC two old cdrom/dvd devices that were
> broken.  Then I set all the cables as I could but I'm no expert and don't know
> if I did everything ok.  Anyway, all seems ok except that I can't mount the
> cdrom device that is now in my system.
>
> In fstab I have:
>
> /dev/hdc         /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>
> and, when I do `mount /cdrom', the system complains that the `special device
> hdc does not exist'.  In fact, there's only /dev/hda.
>
> The device is seen by the system: I can regularly eject.  Besides, at start it
> is seen properly as a Maxtor device, in `primary master' position.
>
> What can I do?
>
> In fstab I replaced hdc with hda, but then the system complains that `hda is
> already mounted or /media/cdrm0 busy'.
>
> Any help appreciated.
> Rodolfo

What about your hard disk partitions?  What are they called?
I'm going to make some guesses, since you don't provide the information.
I'm going to assume that you are running Lenny, and that your computer
has a single hard disk, which is IDE, and that it is /dev/hda.
Your hard disk partitions are called /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, etc.
And I'm also going to guess that the CD ROM drive is also IDE.
There are two possibilities here: (1) Your CD ROM is "daisy chained"
to the hard disk.  That is, a single cable goes to both the hard
disk and the CD-ROM drive.  If that is the case, the hard disk
should be "primary master" and the the CD ROM drive should be set
for "primary slave".  Check the jumpers on the drive to make
sure it is set for slave operation.  In this case, it might be
/dev/hdb.  (2) Your CD ROM has a separate cable, it which case
it is probably connected to the secondary IDE controller.
It should then be be set for "secondary master".  Check the jumpers
on the CD-ROM drive and make sure it is set for master operation.

It would be very unusual for a CD-ROM drive to be a primary master.
That position is almost always reserved for the hard disk.
Check your hard disk.  Is it a Maxtor drive?  If this is the case,
I think the system is seeing your hard disk and not your CD-ROM
drive.

It is common practice for corporate IT departments to disable
a CD-ROM drive by removing the jumper, so that it is neither set
for master (MA) nor slave (SL) operation.  Sometimes they will set it for
cable select (CS) or sometimes they will remove the jumper entirely.
They do this to try to prevent users from installing software
or to keep them from burning CDs.  That may be what is
wrong with the drives you removed, too.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :