Re: What's the Debian way of disabling suspend to disk?

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:11:33 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 2. September 2010 schrieb Camaleón:

(...)

>> > Booting to the login screeen takes ~35–40 seconds here. Plus another
>> > half minute to load the DE. Usually I am using normal standby (aka
>> > suspend to RAM). Powerdevil has no function to disable that feature,
>> > which is why I want to disable it one level down in the hierarchy.
>>
>> You mean disable at BIOS level? :-?
>
> Well, on my old Gentoo system - naturally with my own, laptop-optimised
> kernel - I only had Sleep available in Powerdevil, so I figured that the
> kernel has to (not) support it for the button (not) to show up. I just
> never bothered finding out how to get S2D working.

Different kernel releases may have different acpi support/
implementantions. I mean, maybe the Gentoo kernel you were using at that
time was not able to detect the full capabilities of your board and just
enabled "suspension" and not "hibernation".

Anyway, I'm not sure how to force acpi being "selective" for detecting
one suspension method and avoid the other :-?

>> [...] KDE should not trigger power savings unless you configure for
>> doing so. What you can do is hide/remove the icon
>
> No, I _can't_. That's the whole reason for my asking here. There is no
> option to hide the button. I've attached a tiny screenie where you can
> see the problematic combo box and the hibernation (Tiefschlaf) button
> right underneath.

How about hidding the whole Powerdevil applet? If you don't need it at all
(it seem you are not usually switching between power management profiles)
and makes you click something you want to avoid, I see no reason to
having it there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón