Re: What's the Debian way of disabling suspend to disk?

Am Donnerstag, 2. September 2010 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 13:40:56 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 2. September 2010 schrieb Camaleón:
> >> I meant you can hibernate your computer with any amount of ram
> >> available, there are still restoring speed gains in some computers.
> >> Your mileage may vary.
> >
> > But you also need as much space on the HDD to store the RAM content,
> > which I don’t really do.
>
> Neither do I. I do not use hibernation at all.
>
> My point was just stating the fact that it could be useful under some
> environments/setups regardless the amount of installed memory.

OK, then that would belong into the OT realm for this particular thread.

> >> I have 8 GiB of ram and a cold start takes some minutes :-)
> >
> > Booting to the login screeen takes ~35–40 seconds here. Plus another
> > half minute to load the DE. Usually I am using normal standby (aka
> > suspend to RAM). Powerdevil has no function to disable that feature,
> > which is why I want to disable it one level down in the hierarchy.
>
> You mean disable at BIOS level? :-?

Well, on my old Gentoo system - naturally with my own, laptop-optimised kernel
- I only had Sleep available in Powerdevil, so I figured that the kernel has
to (not) support it for the button (not) to show up. I just never bothered
finding out how to get S2D working.

> [...] KDE should not trigger power savings unless you configure for doing
> so. What you can do is hide/remove the icon

No, I _can't_. That's the whole reason for my asking here. There is no option
to hide the button. I've attached a tiny screenie where you can see the
problematic combo box and the hibernation (Tiefschlaf) button right
underneath.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Programmers don’t die, they GOSUB without RETURN.