Re: install lenny on Dell

Tom Poe wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Tom Poe wrote:

    I bring up stuff on my computer, and it has an icon with
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.  I downloaded a lenny i386 iso image, and
    used brasero to burn it to a Memorex DVD+RW disc.  I shut down
    computer, started computer, got a blinking cursor for a few
    seconds, and then moved to ubuntu (installed operating system).
     Does this sound like I have to go buy some other discs, because
    my drive is too old, and can't read the DVD?

One of my old Dell's DVD-ROM drives only reads DVD-R discs, not DVD+R discs. Any chance you're using +R? If so, try using -R and see if it is read that way.

Makes sense.  Will put -R discs on my shopping list.
Tom

Onetime I needed +R to make recovery disk for a laptop, I got a five disc pack and still have four left over, I always use -R for everything I do they work great for data, music and burning ISO's, I don't know why but I can't get RW disk to work at all, from what I read I'm not along, seems RW don't work for anybody using Linux.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263