Re: What is Recommend CLI Package Manager Tool for Newb?

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:23:23 +0000, T o n g wrote:

>>> well, personally i prefer aptitude, its more verbose, and i like that.
>>> but
>> on sidux (and other) forums people suggested apt-get, it is said that
>> it handles massive upgrades better (?).
>
> Check the recent discussion for details. ie,
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/388711/focus=388765
>
> Quoting Osamu Aoki:
>
> You may see change in release note:
>  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=411280

Backing it up with my own example, see the following:

  $ apt-get install swatch
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
    libbit-vector-perl libcarp-clan-perl libdate-calc-perl libdate-manip-
perl
    libfile-tail-perl libperl5.10 libyaml-syck-perl perl perl-base perl-
modules
  Suggested packages:
    libterm-readline-gnu-perl libterm-readline-perl-perl
    libbit-vector-perl libcarp-clan-perl libdate-calc-perl libdate-manip-
perl
    libfile-tail-perl libyaml-syck-perl swatch
    libperl5.10 perl perl-base perl-modules
  4 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 553 not upgraded.
  Need to get 12.0MB of archives.
  After this operation, 16.5MB of additional disk space will be used.
  Do you want to continue [Y/n]? ^C

Simple and straightforward right? Now take a look at the followings:

  $ aptitude install swatch
    libbit-vector-perl{a} libcarp-clan-perl{a} libdate-calc-perl{a}
    libdate-manip-perl{a} libfile-tail-perl{a} libyaml-syck-perl{a}
swatch
    perl perl-base perl-modules
  3 packages upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 554 not
upgraded.
  Need to get 12.0MB of archives. After unpacking 16.5MB will be used.
    libperl5.10: Depends: perl-base (= 5.10.1-12) but 5.10.1-14 is to be
installed.

       Remove the following packages:
  1)     epic5
  2)     irssi
  3)     irssi-scripts
  4)     libperl5.10
  5)     rxvt-unicode-ml

Huh? libperl5 is to be removed. what'll happen next?

  Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n

       Keep the following packages at their current version:
  1)     libdate-manip-perl [Not Installed]
  2)     libyaml-syck-perl [Not Installed]
  3)     perl [5.10.1-12 (now)]
  4)     perl-base [5.10.1-12 (now)]
  5)     swatch [Not Installed]

Huh? I *wanted to* install swatch.

  Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
  open: 253; closed: 820; defer: 188; conflict:
370                              oThe following actions will resolve
these dependencies:

	 Remove the following packages:
  1)       acroread
  2)       acroread-data
  3)       acroread-debian-files
  4)       acroread-escript
  5)       acroread-l10n-en
  6)       acroread-plugins
  7)       alsaplayer-common
  8)       alsaplayer-gtk
  9)       apt-file
  10)      aqualung
  11)      autoconf
  12)      automake
  13)      bsd-mailx
  14)      build-essential
  15)      checkgmail
  16)      checkinstall
  17)      clive
  18)      cmap-adobe-cns1
  19)      cmap-adobe-gb1
  20)      cups
  21)      cups-bsd
  22)      cups-driver-gutenprint
  23)      cups-pdf
  24)      ddclient
  25)      debhelper
  26)      defoma
  27)      deluge
  28)      deluge-gtk
  29)      deluge-torrent
  30)      dh-make-perl
  31)      docbook-xml
  32)      docbook-xsl
  33)      dpkg-dev
  34)      dpkg-repack
  35)      emacs
  36)      emacs23
  37)      eog
  38)      fai-client
  39)      fai-server
  40)      fetchyahoo
  41)      file-roller
  42)      flashplugin-nonfree
  43)      foomatic-db-engine
  44)      foomatic-db-gutenprint
  45)      foomatic-filters
  46)      gcolor2
  47)      gconf-editor
  48)      gecko-mediaplayer
  49)      gedit
  50)      geeqie
  51)      getlive
  52)      gftp-gtk
  53)      ghostscript
  54)      ghostscript-cups
  55)      ghostscript-x
  56)      gimp
  57)      git
  58)      git-core
  59)      git-email
  60)      git-gui
  61)      gitk
  62)      gksu
  63)      gnome-about
  64)      gnome-applets
  65)      gnome-control-center
  66)      gnome-core
  67)      gnome-icon-theme
  68)      gnome-keyring
  69)      gnome-menus
  70)      gnome-mplayer
  71)      gnome-panel
  72)      gnome-power-manager
  73)      gnome-session
  74)      gnome-session-bin
  75)      gnome-settings-daemon
  76)      gnome-terminal
  77)      gnuplot
  78)      gnuplot-nox
  79)      gnuplot-x11
  80)      gparted
  81)      gqview
  82)      grml-autoconfig
  83)      grml-etc
  84)      grml-live
  85)      grml-scripts
  86)      grml-x
  87)      gs-cjk-resource
  88)      gs-common
  89)      gs-esp
  90)      gsfonts
  91)      gtk-chtheme
  92)      gtk-theme-switch
  93)      gtk2-engines
  94)      gucharmap
  95)      gv
  96)      hevea
  97)      ibus
  98)      ibus-pinyin
  99)      ibus-table
  100)     ibus-table-wubi
  101)     icedove
  102)     iceweasel
  103)     iceweasel-dom-inspector
  104)     ijsgutenprint
  105)     intltool-debian
  106)     irssi
  107)     irssi-scripts
  108)     latex2html
  109)     libafterimage0
  110)     libarray-unique-perl
  111)     libbonoboui2-0
  112)     libcairo-perl
  113)     libcanberra-gtk0
  114)     libclass-accessor-chained-perl
  115)     libclass-accessor-perl
  116)     libclass-singleton-perl
  117)     libcompress-raw-bzip2-perl
  118)     libcompress-raw-zlib-perl
  119)     libconfig-file-perl
  120)     libconfig-tiny-perl
  121)     libconvert-binhex-perl
  122)     libcrypt-blowfish-perl
  123)     libcrypt-simple-perl
  124)     libcrypt-ssleay-perl
  125)     libdata-dump-perl
  126)     libdigest-sha1-perl
  127)     libdpkg-perl
  128)     libedataserverui1.2-8
  129)     libemail-date-format-perl
  130)     libemail-mime-encodings-perl
  131)     liberror-perl
  132)     libexpect-perl
  133)     libfile-chdir-perl
  134)     libfile-copy-recursive-perl
  135)     libfm-gtk0
  136)     libfreezethaw-perl
  137)     libgail-common
  138)     libgail18
  139)     libgcr0
  140)     libgegl-0.0-0
  141)     libgetopt-argvfile-perl
  142)     libgimp2.0
  143)     libgksu2-0
  144)     libglade2-0
  145)     libglib-perl
  146)     libgnome-desktop-2-17
  147)     libgnome-window-settings1
  148)     libgnomecanvas2-0
  149)     libgnomekbd4
  150)     libgnomeui-0
  151)     libgtk2-perl
  152)     libgtk2-trayicon-perl
  153)     libgtk2.0-0
  154)     libgtk2.0-bin
  155)     libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a
  156)     libgtksourceview2.0-0
  157)     libgtkspell0
  158)     libgucharmap7
  159)     libgweather1
  160)     libhtml-parser-perl
  161)     libhtml-tagset-perl
  162)     libhtml-tree-perl
  163)     libhttp-response-encoding-perl
  164)     libhttp-server-simple-perl
  165)     libio-compress-perl
  166)     libio-pty-perl
  167)     libio-socket-ssl-perl
  168)     libio-string-perl
  169)     libio-stringy-perl
  170)     libio-stty-perl
  171)     liblinux-lvm-perl
  172)     liblist-moreutils-perl
  173)     libmailtools-perl
  174)     libmetacity-private0
  175)     libmime-tools-perl
  176)     libmodule-depends-perl
  177)     libnautilus-extension1
  178)     libnet-dbus-perl
  179)     libnet-ssleay-perl
  180)     libnotify1
  181)     liboobs-1-4
  182)     libpanel-applet2-0
  183)     libpango-perl
  184)     libpango1.0-0
  185)     libpango1.0-common
  186)     libpangomm-1.4-1
  187)     libparse-debcontrol-perl
  188)     libparse-debianchangelog-perl
  189)     libparse-recdescent-perl
  190)     libpoppler-glib4
  191)     librsvg2-2
  192)     librsvg2-common
  193)     libsexy2
  194)     libslab0a
  195)     libsub-name-perl
  196)     libsubtitles-perl
  197)     libterm-readkey-perl
  198)     libtie-ixhash-perl
  199)     libtimedate-perl
  200)     libunique-1.0-0
  201)     liburi-perl
  202)     libvte9
  203)     libwebkit-1.0-2
  204)     libwmf0.2-7
  205)     libwnck22
  206)     libwv-1.2-3
  207)     libwww-curl-perl
  208)     libwww-mechanize-perl
  209)     libwww-perl
  210)     libwxgtk2.8-0
  211)     libxml-namespacesupport-perl
  212)     libxml-parser-perl
  213)     libxml-sax-expat-perl
  214)     libxml-sax-perl
  215)     libxml-simple-perl
  216)     libxml-twig-perl
  217)     libxml-xpath-perl
  218)     libyaml-perl
  219)     meld
  220)     metacity
  221)     metacity-common
  222)     mhwaveedit
  223)     mjpegtools
  224)     mlterm-tools
  225)     moreutils
  226)     mozilla-imagezoom
  227)     mozilla-livehttpheaders
  228)     mplayer
  229)     mtpaint
  230)     nautilus
  231)     notification-daemon
  232)     pan
  233)     pcmanfm
  234)     perl
  235)     perl-doc
  236)     perl-modules
  237)     perltidy
  238)     po-debconf
  239)     policykit-1-gnome
  240)     privoxy
  241)     pstotext
  242)     python-glade2
  243)     python-gmenu
  244)     python-gnome2
  245)     python-gtk2
  246)     python-gtksourceview2
  247)     python-ibus
  248)     python-notify
  249)     qiv
  250)     rarian-compat
  251)     rxvt-unicode-ml
  252)     sane
  253)     sane-utils
  254)     sendmail-base
  255)     sendmail-bin
  256)     sensible-mda
  257)     sgml-base
  258)     sgml-data
  259)     stardict-common
  260)     stardict-gtk
  261)     sun-java6-fonts
  262)     sun-java6-plugin
  263)     system-tools-backends
  264)     thewidgetfactory
  265)     ttf-arphic-uming
  266)     uget
  267)     update-inetd
  268)     vlc
  269)     wu-ftpd
  270)     wv
  271)     x-ttcidfont-conf
  272)     xchm
  273)     xml-core
  274)     xpdf
  275)     xpdf-reader
  276)     xsane
  277)     xul-ext-dom-inspector
  278)     xulrunner-1.9.1
  279)     yelp
  280)     zenity

	 Keep the following packages at their current version:
  281)     libbit-vector-perl [Not Installed]
  282)     libcarp-clan-perl [Not Installed]
  283)     libdate-calc-perl [Not Installed]
  284)     libdate-manip-perl [Not Installed]
  285)     libfile-tail-perl [Not Installed]
  286)     libyaml-syck-perl [Not Installed]
  287)     perl-base [5.10.1-12 (now)]
  288)     swatch [Not Installed]

Huh? remove more than a couple of dozen but swatch is still not to be
installed.

  Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
  open: 272; closed: 918; defer: 189; conflict:
371                              .The following actions will resolve
these dependencies:

       Upgrade the following packages:
  1)     libperl5.10 [5.10.1-12 (now) -> 5.10.1-14 (testing, unstable)]

  Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] ^C

Again, where is my swatch? . . .

Hope you can tell yourself now.

Recap with Steve Langasek's message from above url:

  - When I type 'aptitude install foo', *removing* foo instead of
upgrading
    is not a valid solution and should never be offered.
  - When I type 'aptitude install foo', installing 5 packages, removing 3
    others, and upgrading 7 more *without installing foo* is not a valid
    solution and should never be offered.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/