Re: Setting default GNOME settings with XDG_DATA_DIRS

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:53:22 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 22:27 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> The fisrt one is already set but seems to have not effect (it is still
>> looking for "/usr/share/gnome/applications/defaults.list" and the
>> second one is for configuration files... so, what we are missing here?
>> I don't think it is required an additional command to populate the
>> changes >:-?
> <snip>
> Exactly, that's the question.  Thanks - John

There is somethig weird here.

On a test system (running squeeze) I've set:

XDG_DATA_DIRS=/home/user/Desktop/testing

(with its correspondent "application" folder inside and a
"defaults.lists" file with just one defined application)

[Default Applications]
text/html=iceweasel.desktop

After re-login, I checked that the environment variable had the "correct"
value and as expected, it returned *just* the above path. I expected a
bit of mess and no shortcut working at all but, no... all seems to be
just fine, as before. No change has been done, applications are still
launched with their matching programs... and *.html files are being
opened with Epiphany, despite my custom setting.

So I wonder what is the true role of that env. variable ("XDG_DATA_DIRS")
and if it is being used (how/for what) at all :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón