Re: Setting default GNOME settings with XDG_DATA_DIRS

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:50:56 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 13:15 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> That was just intended to check your setup.
>>
>> If that works, then something is missing at your side. If that also
>> fail, then you could open a bug report.
> Yes, indeed, if we place defaults.list in ~/.local/share/applications/
> it works.

Mmm... then looks like a configuration issue.

(...)

> I think we see the problem, the values in $XDG_DATA_DIRS are being
> superseded by /usr/share/gnome/applications/defaults.list which is a
> symbolic link to /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/defaults.list.  Where is this
> /usr/share/gnome/applications coming from and why is it overriding
> XDG_DATA_DIRS? Thanks - John

Before I'm going nuts with all these dirs ;-), try to set your common
path to both "XDG_DATA_HOME" and "XDG_DATA_DIRS" because "XDG_DATA_HOME"
seems to have the top preference over the rest of the variables.

***
XDG_DATA_HOME=/data/.Common/xdg/default
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/data/.Common/xdg/default:/usr/share:/usr/local/share::/opt/trinity/share/:/usr/share/
***

As per "Environment variables¹" chapter:

***
The order of base directories denotes their importance; the first
directory listed is the most important. When the same information is
defined in multiple places the information defined relative to the more
important base directory takes precedent. The base directory defined by
$XDG_DATA_HOME is considered more important than any of the base
directories defined by $XDG_DATA_DIRS. The base directory defined by
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME is considered more important than any of the base
directories defined by $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS.
***

¹ http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

Greetings,

--