Problems on Lenny with Lexmark s605 AIO

I am having this problem with someone else's computer and AIO, and they are 11
miles away, so I cannot easily test just one thing out, and am having to ask
all questions form memory.

I have downloaded and installed the driver from Lexmark.  The tool box is
there, and CUPS has installed the printer part and made it the default.  I
can write a documents and send them to the printer.

Xsane recognises the scanner and scans.

I then, with both the printer and scanner modes, get one of two messages, and
could find no pattern to which I got - tho' there must have been one.  The
messages are:  (sorry, I have not got them verbatim)

1) The printer/scanner is busy, waiting until it finishes.  But it never
finishes.  Or:

2) I/O problem.  printer/scanner not responding.

I have checked that the cable was properly plugged in and have restarted both
the AOI and the computer.  I did not have a spare USB cable to try, but will
obviously take one next time I go.

Another thing I had thought of (but will have try there) is to install the
gutenprint and foomatic databases and see what is there in case there is a
better driver, and to look and see whether sanebackends is properly
installed.

Any other ideas what I could try?

Thanks.
Lisi