Re: What is Recommend CLI Package Manager Tool for Newb?

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 07:23 -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> I have to say I'm getting confused.  I'm in the middle of setting up
> my first Debian server  (which used to be Ubuntu).
>
> I will be administering it remotely and would like to use the best
> tool for the job.
>
> Now I read conflicting opinions from experienced people about apt-*,
> aptitude, and wajit.
>
> Is there a consensus?

Of course not. :)  The apt-get vs aptitude thread that's active now on
this list is a good discussion for you, as well.  Both tools are made
for users to maintain their machines.

I say pick one and stick to it.  Apt and aptitude are close to parity
feature-wise anymore (I'm sure others will disagree and it depends on
how you define "features") and there's some disagreement if aptitude
really is the better choice even for dist-upgrades.

It seems to me that the discussion about package managers here is almost
political, in that many people who have a lot of experience with Debian
have no real idea of the hit rate of each package manager for their
respective features.  To me, that's OK, because that means they're both
probably excellent.

Over the years, I started with the apt tools, then I moved to aptitude,
then I moved back to apt again recently now that removing reverse
dependencies and is working well in apt.

So again, no worries, pick one and learn it well.

Chance