Re: What is Recommend CLI Package Manager Tool for Newb?

On 27 Aug 2010, Tom Browder wrote:
> I have to say I'm getting confused.  I'm in the middle of setting up
> my first Debian server  (which used to be Ubuntu).
>
> I will be administering it remotely and would like to use the best
> tool for the job.
>
> Now I read conflicting opinions from experienced people about apt-*,
> aptitude, and wajit.
>
> Is there a consensus?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Tom
>
> Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
> Niceville, Florida
> USA

Wajig man page says:

	wajig packages into one tool many commands useful for managing a Debian
       system. Instead of having to remember whether to use dpkg or apt-get or
       apt-cache,  etc,  wajig  does the selection of the appropriate tool for
       you.

       wajig is a user command but will use sudo  to  run  commands  requiring
       super user permissions.

I find it is very convenient, but perhaps, if you are new to things, it
would be better to start with apt-get and friends to get an
understanding how they work.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk