Re: A warning how not to upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze

In <[🔎] AANLkTinnYLyBERhShKJMQ2BebQ5SzgUd5huadwe5oFDC@mail.gmail.com>, Paul
Richards wrote:
>Hi,
>I recently upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze.  I did the upgrade rather
>haphazardly without much preplanning and the procedure turned out to
>be a bit of a nightmare.

You should always read the release notes (available as a WIP now) for the new
release and use the upgrade procedure in that document.

>>Here's what I did..
>
>I updated /etc/apt/sources.list => s/lenny/squeeze/
>
>I then tried "aptitude update && aptitude install apt dpkg aptitude".
>This presented me with a solution that looked too broke for my taste,
>so I didn't apply it.

You should realize that you don't just have those two choices.  Very often, in
my mixed stable/backports/testing/unstable/experimental system, interacting
with the resolver by only rejecting parts of the solution and then requesting
a different solution has been the best way to handle specific package
installations.

>I repeatedly tried "aptitude safe-upgrade" / "aptitude full-upgrade"
>in alternate shots. This iterated for a while with different errors
>each time until eventually I ended up with a system without aptitude
>installed.

Well, you probably shouldn't have accepted that action.

>Apparently
>udev and the kernel need to be updated at the same time, but none of
>the tools would let me install the new kernel and udev.

Well documented in the mailing list archives.  I didn't see it last time I
read the release notes though.  I believe the Squeeze kernel may work with
Lenny's udev without error, but not vice-versa.  If that's the case, the first
step the upgrade procedure will be to upgrade the kernel and reboot, then do a
"normal" upgrade, ending with a second reboot.

Thanks for the report.  Mine is shorter:

I used the heavily mixed system described above and tried (on a whim) the
upgrade last night as well.  I simply issued (aptitude safe-upgrade -t
testing), and it failed to produce *any* upgrade solution, so I'm thinking
that aptitude/apt/dpkg might be getting some enhancements during the freeze in
order to handle the upgrade.