Re: synaptic got problem when auto updating today

On 25/08/10 03:25, Qi Qi wrote:
Hi,

When I updated my sid debian today, it automatically removed the
synaptic. I tried to reinstall it, but it indicated as a broken package.

Is it only happening to my debian sid, or it's an issue somehow?

Most of us don't use synaptic, or at least, not for updating. There is currently a bit of faffing about with apt, which may explain it. It will probably settle in a day or two.

I use aptitude, and a suggested full-upgrade today would have removed aptitude... I settled for one which left things as they were for the moment. It pays to watch the updates carefully with sid.

Meanwhile, use apt-get update, apt-get upgrade or aptitude update, aptitude safe-upgrade. Apt-get dist-upgrade and aptitude full-upgrade are the ones to be careful of. Obviously, try to reinstall synaptic from time to time, it should work again soon.

--
Joe