Re: Mixing apt-get and aptitude

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:16:44 -0400, Anticept . wrote:
>
>>> I used to use either apt-get or aptitude to install packages. Is it OK
>>> to do so?
>>>
>>> I read [1] that it is not a good idea. Please comment.
>>> . . .
>>>
>> There is no reason that these two can't be mixed. Aptitude, however,
>> keeps track of packages in which you have marked, and will automatically
>> remove dependencies that are no longer needed. Check "man aptitude" for
>> more information.
>
> apt-get can keeps track of manual installed packages and dependencies one
> as well. Check "man apt-get" for more information.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across like that. There was a couple
sentences I removed which I had typed; what I meant to say is: I
believe there are a couple of other more subtle things that aptitude
does that apt-get can't do, check "man aptitude" for more information.

Again, sorry :(
-Anticept

P.S. Can apt-get hold back package updates like aptitude? This might
be one of them.