updated Re: 1908:1320 digital photo frame success with 2.6.10.1 gphoto / libgphoto2

Arthur Marsh wrote, on 25/08/10 15:46:
Hi, as a non-developer I had reported a lack of success in using a
digital photo frame under Debian:

Hans de Goede had reported success with supporting digital picture
frames with the following USB ID's:

1403:0001
1908:1315
1908:1320
1908:0102

on his web site http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/9183.html and
provided a link to
http://picframe.spritesserver.nl/wiki/index.php/UsingAsPicframe which
provided generic instructions.

I had obtained more recent source (2.4.10.1) from the Sourceforge
repository:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gphoto/

and subscribed to the mailing lists which are also available on
gmane.org, but require registration to post:

[Aside, it is not easy to find the web pages for mailing lists on
Sourceforge]

To build on Debian I did the following:

apt-get build-dep libgphoto2

apt-get source libgphoto2

and downloaded libgphoto2 2.4.10.1 source from sourceforge and unpacked it.

I copied the debian directory from the Debian source to the libgphoto2
2.4.10.1 directory and removed some non-compatible patches from
debian/patches, leaving:

10_disable_cache 45_increase_canon_timeout 80_kfreebsd
11_hurd_no_path_max_bsdsource 70_increase_max_entries series

I also had to edit a couple of lines in the following files in the debian directory:

in libgphoto2-2-dev.files add ,usbscsi,usbdiskdirect

usr/lib/libgphoto2_port/*/{serial,usb,disk,ptpip,usbscsi,usbdiskdirect}.{la,a}

in libgphoto2-port0.files add ,usbscsi,usbdiskdirect

usr/lib/libgphoto2_port/*/{serial,usb,disk,ptpip,usbscsi,usbdiskdirect}.so

I also installed libgd2-xpm-dev (libgd2-xpm was already installed).
Without libgd2*dev, the source code will build but will not be able to
transfer picture files to and from the frame successfully.

I then built and installed the created packages:

cd libgphoto2-2.4.10.1
debuild -b
cd ..
ls -t *.deb|head -2|xargs dpkg -i

and also ran:

libgphoto2-2.4.10.1/packaging/generic# ./print-camera-list udev-rules
version 136 > /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libgphoto2.rules

Then as a user I could run:

gphoto2 --shell

and move picture files from the photo frame. I have yet to resize and
convert to PNG format images to upload to the frame.

Thanks to Hans de Goede for his work in getting this digital photo frame
working!

Arthur.

Arthur.