Wine installation fails

I just installed wine 1.0.1, Debian squeeze. The package never registered with the menu system. When I attempted to install MATLAB from disk, I got the following error:
root@supercrunch:/home/wine# wine /media/cdrom0/setup.exe
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

My X server is definely running. I am using a KDE desktop environment.

Winecfg errored out with the following:

root@supercrunch:/home/wine# winecfg
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HD-Audio Generic, disabling mixer
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 1114

I've looked at some of the web sites but haven't found much help. Does anyone have a clue where to start fixing this.

Thanks for any support.

Gary R.