Re: From console to GUI

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:06:18PM -0400, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:

> On 08/20/2010 12:03 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:08:31 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> >> Luckily Evolution has nothing to do with Mono. Actually, I don't know of
> >> any email client written in C#.
> >
> > No? :-?
> >
> > Then I confused Evo with another developments using Mono. I always
> > thought that installing Evolution will pull Mono libraries (required for
> > plugins and connectors), but I maybe wrong.
> >

> IIRC when the big issue came up of some distros (suse and ubuntu
> maybe?), shipping mono with default gnome, was because of tomboy-notes.

Debian also.

Or rather, it originally didn't. Because mono violated one of Debian's
most valued values.

(It does not run on many platforms, due to being based on Mono[1]).

Then one anti-mono zealot went ahead and provided a nice clone for it in
C++, called gnote. It's functional indeed, but not as much as tomboy.
The result is that now the Debian GNOME maintainers can safely add
'tomboy | gnote' as a dependency of the gnome meta package.

Moral of the story: if you really think mono is evil, go and make gnote
better than tomboy.

[1] See http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mono-runtime. Note the list
of platforms. Compare to e.g.
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libgtk2.0-0 .