Re: From console to GUI

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Jangita <jangita@jangita.com> wrote:
> Hello Good people,
 <snip>
> Questions are (without starting a "which is the best" war...)
>
> 1. For GUI: I've chosen GNome, any reason why I should choose otherwise?

If you want a gtk+ based DE, try xfce, I find KDE a bit "flashy" for
my tastes, but ymmv and gnome comes with to much stuff I dont need ;)

> 2. Email:  I've seen evolution, but I'm leaning towards thunderbird... good
> or bad choice? any other email clients I should consider?

I have just been setting up a desktop based mail client to move away
from gmails webbased one, I tried thunderbird 3.1 (from experimental)
and I found it, very slow, and a bit bloated (a bit like firefox is at
times) it took about 2 days to finish downloading headers via IMAP and
kept crashing while it was doing it - 1682 MB inbox with about 85k
messages), It also had some annoying bits and bobs like not being able
to set/unset threaded view globally, having todo it per folder wasnt
to much fun!

I just installed clawmail, and so far it seems to have all the
(useful) features of thunderbird but at the same time is considerably
faster! (of cause syncing my whole mailbox isnt fast, but it isnt
crashing and its already a good chunk into it)

> 3. Programming: For my programming I've seen eclipse to be the best, I could
> practically code everything in evolution using the plugins, one problem
> though - do I get a WYSIWYG plugin/editor for my HTML pages (might be for
> the eclipse mailing list but just wnat to see what guys use here)
> 4. Delphi -> FPC
> 5. Any ideas of a GUI mysql client for windows?
> 6. I forgot to mention my chat applications (skype, msn, yahoo, google talk)
> - any recommended clients that support features in the original versions?
> (I've only found skype)

Pidgen supports just about anything, If you need webcams in msn, amsn
will cover you there, and google talk just put out a client for linux
with webcam support there! [1]

> 7. Office Suite - I'll go for openoffice (any better alternatives?)

Open Office seems to be the best

> 8. Any alternative for adobe fireworks?
>
> and i'll have a teeny weeeny partition like 10% of my hdd for playing my
> windows games and cases where there is just no unix alternative (Orbiter!!)

wine and playonlinux make it quite easy to run lots of stuff nowadays,
but you will still find a large(ish) fps drop in lots of cases, and
some fidderling, ymmv in a lot of cases.

> Thanks! Looking forward for the big format.
>
> --
> Jangita +256 76 91 8383

Hope it helps,

Regards,