Re: disable sleep mode hdd usb

On 2010-08-17 20:26 +0200, Greg Madden wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 August 2010 09:16:51 Markus wrote:
>> Camaleón wrote:
>> >
>> > hdparm/sdparm may help.
>> >
>> > But some manufacturers disallow this management on the user side.
>> >
>> > Greetings,
>>
>> Put this line:
>>
>> hdparm -B 255 /dev/sdX
>>
>> in your /etc/rc.local file where X is the corresponding letter for your
>> usb hdd.
>> For getting this to work, your usb hdd has to be pluged in the usb-port
>> during boot up.
>> And you have to ensure that it always has the same "X".
>
> Does hdparm understand uuid's ?

Probably not, but this could easily be worked around by using a symlink
in /dev/disk/by-uuid.  The only problem is that there may not be one for
sdX; at least I don't have a symlink to /dev/sda in /dev/disk/by-uuid, ,
only symlinks to /dev/sdaX, i.e. the partitions.

> The original poster doesn't mention the verson of Debian, Squeeze uses uuid's,
> and if you are using external usb devices, uuid's are a great  way to make
> sure the same file system gets mounted  appropriately each time.

Maybe the disk name in /dev/disk/by-id could be used instead, there are
symlinks to /dev/sda on my system.

Sven