Re: newbie intro

On 2010-08-14 11:16:23 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
> >On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 09:51:21 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
> >
> >>Hi:  Is this correct list for learning how to install and use
> >>debian?
> >
> >I hope so :-)
> >
> [snip]
>
> workstation/server.  The desktop has two hard drives, 80GB and
> 160GB.  Would like to use both drives as one.  Not sure how to
> prepare drive settings to install with reformatting both when
> inserting CD/DVD.  Any suggestions appreciated (really limited
> computer skills, here).
> Tom

Tom,

I'm not sure what you mean by "use both drives as one", but I think
you are adding some complexity that doesn't need to be there. Since
you are just starting, I suggest you DO NOT try to "merge" the disks
in any way. Here is a different suggestion.

You are probably somewhat familiar with the linux file system from
using Ubuntu. One of the basic concepts, different from Windows, is
that there is only one file system on the machine, and every hard
disk, or CD, or DVD, or flash drive is integrated somewhere into this
file system. There is no "C:\", nor "D:\", nor "E:\", but only one file
system "/".

My computer has three hard drives and, 2 DVD drives, some network
drives. And they all work "as one", which is part of your wishlist.
Here is the more basic way to accomplish this:

Install the operating system onto whichever drive is newer and
more trustworthy. Ignore the other hard drive during the installation
process. After the system is up and running well, you will add that
second hard drive back into your system, and use it for some function
that needs extra storage.

You could use the second hard drive as a backup:

    /                the root of the file system
    /home/tom/       your home folder
    /mnt/backup/ <-- everything placed in this folder goes on your 2nd hdd

Or you could use the second hard drive to store digital camera
images:

    /                           the root of the file system
    /home/tom/                  your home folder
    /home/tom/images/Canon/ <-- everything place in this folder goes on your 2nd hdd

This is a more simple, basic, normal setup. Once you are using
the computer, all hard drives will seem to be unified into this
one file system. They will all function "as one" and be totally
transparent to you. It will all appear to be one big 240 GB file
system. Would that be good enough?

Phil