Re: building 2.6.35

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:27:50 -0400 (EDT), Arthur Machlas wrote:
>> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> The latest version of my kernel building web page, revised yesterday
>>> (http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm), recommends unpacking,
>>> configuring, and compiling the kernel from its default location
>>> as a non-root user which is a member of group src.  It can be the
>>> system administrator's non-superuser self or an id created
>>> specifically for kernel building that is enrolled in group src,
>>> at the administrator's discretion.  I have tested the procedure,
>>> and it works.  That's my current recommendation.  Obviously, you
>>> are entitled to disagree if you like.
>>
>> It's a pretty great document Stephen, and I don't think I mentioned
>> earlier that it was my first and authoritative reference when first
>> starting to build kernels, for exactly the reason you noted, much
>> documentation is out-of-date or not debian specific. So thanks for
>> that, belatedly.
>>
>> One thing I think is missing, that I had to discover myself, and
>> perhaps is related to the OPs question, is that sometimes you need the
>> headers and even the source for the custom kernels, e.g., Virtualbox
>> from upstream. In which case, adding kernel_headers and/or
>> kernel_source to the make-kpkg build line is a noteworthy item, since
>> it will build debs' and take care of installing them correctly without
>> linking back to the build directory when searching for source.
>
> That is valuable real-world feedback from a real-world user, Arthur.
> I will see what I can do to improve the document in this respect.
> I haven't done anything like that myself; so if you have some suggested
> wording that you would like to see added, tell me what and where, and
> we'll go from there.
>
> I would also like to add an out-of-kernel-source-tree modules example.
> It has been a long time since I did anything with
> out-of-kernel-source-tree stuff.  The last time I did something like
> that was back in the days when the pcmcia drivers and the alsa drivers
> were not yet integrated into the main kernel source tree.  And that
> was about ten years ago, I think.  Much has changed in the world of
> kernel building since then.  But we now have things like the proprietary
> nvidia kernel module and proprietary kernel modules for win-modems
> that can be used as examples.  I have occasion to use both of those
> examples with my current hardware.
>
> --
>  .''`.     Stephen Powell
>  : :'  :
>  `. `'`
>   `-

Hey,

The two things that i use k-headers for myself are the nvidia blob,
and the virtual-box km's

The only issues I ran into when building headers via make-kpkg where as follows,

Make sure you use the same "-append-to-version -stuff-here" line as
you do when building your kernel, or they wont match up and it wont
find the k-headers.

And, I have found that the packages made by make-kpkg are setting the
wrong "/lib/modules/<kernel version>/build" symlink, pointing it to my
the dir where i build the kernel rather than the correct
/usr/src/<kernel headers> dir.

(I think i need to bug report the 2nd, but I don't know if its
something I am doing wrong).

This is the line i used to build my last load of headers,

# make-kpkg kernel_headers --append-to-version -2.6.35amd64-bfq-iowait -j3

Cheers for all your work on that very useful document,

Regards,

Angus