Re: building 2.6.35

> The latest version of my kernel building web page, revised yesterday
> (http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm), recommends unpacking,
> configuring, and compiling the kernel from its default location
> as a non-root user which is a member of group src.  It can be the
> system administrator's non-superuser self or an id created
> specifically for kernel building that is enrolled in group src,
> at the administrator's discretion.  I have tested the procedure,
> and it works.  That's my current recommendation.  Obviously, you
> are entitled to disagree if you like.

It's a pretty great document Stephen, and I don't think I mentioned
earlier that it was my first and authoritative reference when first
starting to build kernels, for exactly the reason you noted, much
documentation is out-of-date or not debian specific. So thanks for
that, belatedly.

One thing I think is missing, that I had to discover myself, and
perhaps is related to the OPs question, is that sometimes you need the
headers and even the source for the custom kernels, e.g., Virtualbox
from upstream. In which case, adding kernel_headers and/or
kernel_source to the make-kpkg build line is a noteworthy item, since
it will build debs' and take care of installing them correctly without
linking back to the build directory when searching for source.

Best,
AM