Re: A question about rsync's behaviour

In article <[🔎] 4C643B1A.7060608@gmail.com> you write:

>On 08/12/2010 01:14 PM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>>> `uid=1000'.
>>

>> I spoke too early: the problem reappears at any new mounting of the pendrive.
>> Jordan, what do you mean by time preservation?  The time of the file is the
>> same on te pc and on the pendrive.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rodolfo
>>

>That was really a shot in the dark with that statement. I had hoped
>someone with more insight would chime in with more information. Anyways,
>my thought was that modification time on UNIX filesystems were different
>in way that rsync fails to preserve the modification time when copying
>to vfat.
>
>An easy way to check this would be to compare the modification times of
>the two copies.

>From the rsync(1) man page:

       --modify-window
              When  comparing  two  timestamps, rsync treats the timestamps as
              being equal if they differ by no  more  than  the  modify-window
              value.   This  is  normally  0 (for an exact match), but you may
              find it useful to set this to a larger value in some situations.
              In  particular,  when  transferring to or from an MS Windows FAT
              filesystem (which represents times with a 2-second  resolution),
              --modify-window=1 is useful (allowing times to differ by up to 1
              second).

Is there anybody out there?