Re: No Sound Through Video Capture Card

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Thomas Amm <ed3ltaud@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Having done exactly what you are describing with A/V output from VJing
> machines using a BT878 myself, I'd suppose you:
>
> - just forget XAWTV for capturing
> - get mencoder, ffmpeg and probably some H264 stuff like GPAC for web
> streaming (debian-multimedia has all you need, unless you build your own
> mplayer)
> - get mencoder-doc and read the man page - especially the last few lines
> with examples about recording from TV input (I don't know your TV norm
> or your input signal, so I can't give you advice for specific options)
> - use your audio card's line in for audio capturing. There's quite good
> advice, how to do that in mplayers man page
> - capture in raw or lossless mjpeg format and PCM audio to be able to
> encode as H264 or ogg/ogm later for web streaming (HTML5/Flowplayer)
> without recompression artefacts

I've made some minor progress since I last posted, and am now
tinkering with mencoder (xawtv is rather craptacular for video capture
really).

So far, I can capture video, but still no sound.  No matter what I
try, I can not get sound to play through the capture card.  So I was
hoping that mencoder could capture the sound through the sound card as
it captures video through the video capture card,  But even that does
not seem to be working, and I am at a complete loss as to why it
doesn't work.  Here is the command I gave to start the capture:

mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:\vhq:vbitrate=6000 -oac
mp3lame -lameopts br=256: -ffourcc DIVX -tv
driver=v4l:norm=ntsc:input=1:adevice=/dev/dsp:width=640:height=480 -af
volume=-10 -o /Calypso/Multimedia/Test-09.avi tv://

That produced an avi file that can be played in vlc, but it has no
sound.  To top it off, neither of the apps that I wanted to use to
then edit the avi recognize it as a valid avi (avidemux and
Cinelerra).  I found the above command from a YouTube tutorial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDLtHDvQ7O4

However, I suspect that the tutorial assumes that sound would be
coming from the same source as the video.  I suppose I could record
the sound sperately through Audacity, but that seems like a poor and
easily error prone solution, what with trying to get the video and
audio properly synced up.

Any additional suggestions, especially if such suggestions will result
in mencoder capturing sound from the sound card while simultaneously
capturing video from the video capture card?