RE: building 2.6.35

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:45:04 +0800 <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
>
> [snip]

> >> Why do you want to install the headers if you already have the whole
> >> kernel source code?  What are you trying to accomplish besides
> >> building a custom kernel?
> >
> > I wanted the header file, so I could build the intel i915 modules, I
> > was planning on taking the modules source that belong to that and try
> > to compile against a debian kernel.
>
> okay here is the problem with this, there are some extra steps needed
> to use the kernel-source
>
> so I installed the linux-image and the kernel-source package, boots up
> great - but.... I can't compile my vb kernel modules - no header files
> - I point it to /usr/src/<..> (unpacked kernel-source), doesn't
> work...
>
> What do I need to do :)

Maybe this will help...
The "make headers_install" command exports the kernel's header files in a form suitable for use by userspace programs.

The kernel header files can be generated from the kernel sources.

Define INSTALL_HDR_PATH= for output location.

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/make/headers_install.txt