Re: OT Re: mounting samsung galaxy S

Hi,

Jordon Bedwell wrote:
On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 02:14 +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
Using any other source, _might_ not be a good idea (tm) as Samsung have their own UI additions that a 3rd party might not bring to the table for this device....

Which can/are all recreated ;) I have a app drawer just like the Galaxy
on my Droid, actually, it's cleaner because I set the number of icons
per page (since I hate overlapping and double lined text in my drawer),
I've even had the HTC sense UI on my Droid at one point, but I'm not a
fan of HTC sense.

In some senses I would agree to wait, but in other sense, I wouldn't
make it a recommendation because it's his phone, the only reason I would
caution is because unlike my Droid he can't unbrick his phone, he
doesn't have the original source and flash software, I do for my Droid,
I can ubrick my Droid unless I totally destroy the hardware.

Either way, without the Galaxy mods, he gets his own experience, he gets
his own custom rom, he gets to choose what's on it, when it's on it, and
what runs on it.  He gets to install apps to the SD, he gets access to
the new PIN based lock.  It's his phone, and Cyanogen mod gives him
control over the hardware he licensed.

I half expected exactly your type of response and it is very well received; thank you. I'll be investigating Cyanogen myself at some stage, thanks again for the heads up.

At least I'll be able to rid myself of Telco branding and their idea of what my new phone will be able to do out of the box.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan