xulrunner stops upgrade

I have iceweasel 3.5.10-1~bpo50-1 installed from lenny-backports.  Among
other packages it depends on xulrunner 1.9.1, also installed from
lenny-backports when I installed that version of iceweasel.

When recently I ran aptitude update I discovered that the version of
xulrunner was to be upgraded from 1.9.1.10-1 to 1.9.1.11-1.  When
however I ran aptitude upgrade the following message appeared:

WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
/tmp/tmpVrC3qX  (press RETURN)xulrunner (1.9.1.10-1) unstable; urgency=high

  Due to problems with the version of at least epiphany-gecko and
  kazehakase-gecko this backport of does not ship the file
  /etc/gre.d/1.9.1.system.conf.

  Iceweasel should pick up the new xulrunner version anyway, however should
  you need this backport for other packages and depends on that file,
you can
  try to:
  a) Create such a file somewhere outside of /etc/gre.d/ and set the
     MOZ_GRE_CONF pointing to that location.
  b) Create such a file in your users ${HOME}/.gre.d directory (which
you most
     likely need to create).

  The contents of it should look like the following:

  [1.9.1.6]
  GRE_PATH=/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1
  xulrunner=true
  abi=x86_64-gcc3

 -- Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>  Wed, 30 Jun 2010
09:01:48 +0200
(END)
RESULT=130
(END)

At this point the upgrade aborted, with the result that none of the 28
packages awaiting upgrade were upgraded.

Since I do not use gnome or kazehakase I concluded that I needn't worry
about the issues referred to with respect to these packages.  So as
instructed I tried option (a) in that message, creating the conf file in
a different directory and the variable MOZ_GRE_CONF to point to it. I
then ran aptitude upgrade again with the same result: the same message
followed by abortion of the upgrade.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to solve this
problem, presumably either by telling me what I must do (other than what
I have already done) about the xulrunner problem, or how to avoid
upgrading xulrunner (probably not necessary in my case) but upgrade all
the 27 other packages.

Regards, Ken Heard