Re: Java applications and font size

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 00:50:36 +0200, Andreas Goesele wrote:

> Camaleón writes:
>
>> Have you checked (inside the java app) for a setting to define the
>> interface layout to use in the program?
>>
>> I can select from various flavours, each of one using different fonts:
>>
>> [x] System native (which seems to use the same font type and size as
>> the other desktop applications)
>> [ ] CDE/Motif
>> [ ] GTK+
>> [ ] Metal
>> [ ] Nimbus
>
> I don't see how I could dee this inside the java apps I use, but the
> corresponding
> -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel indeed did
> improve things for one of the applications I use. But still there are
> some fonts which are too small. Other applications don't react to that
> option.

Mmm, I have tested that parameter to launch a java app and had no effect
at all so maybe that setting is application dependant, I mean, it could
be that the java app had to be coded taking that property into account in
order to get it working :-?

>> Also, you could check that your whole desktop DPI setting is not
>> defined at a very low value.
>
> As a matter of fact the automatic setting resultet in dpi=86, somewhat
> too small. But even if I set a higher dpi, the java apps I use are not
> affected. (Other applications - like kde apps - are changing font
> sizes.)

That was the default setting for GNOME (86 dpi) but was so small I
changed to 96 dpi, which I find it more legible.

JFYI, within my system (I'm using GNOME), java applications use the same
font face and font size I have defined for the desktop font settings (in
my case, that is Tahoma 8 pt). What desktop are you using? And have you
asked the developer of the involved application? It could be worth a try
to send him/her a line asking what can you do to change the font face and
size for the GUI :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón