Re: building 2.6.35

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Alexander Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

> I am looking at how to build 2.6.35 the debian way so I end up with
> deb packages. the current situation is 2.6.35 is avail in experimental
> (>?!) with out a linux-kbuild packages - last time I asked about this
> it was because they only wanted people who understood how to build to
> play with the new linux-image.  what ever the reason thats cool. I
> would like to install and play with the new kernel and I need headers.
> So I have had a look here
> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage,
> there is a section on building linux-kbuild - but guess what the svn
> co downloads the 2.6.34 version :(

If you don't want to wait for 2.6.35 to be available from a Debian
source, you can get the 2.6.35 source from kernel.org and build a
kernel the Debian way. You could also be really lazy while waiting for
Debian to make 2.6.35 available and download a 2.6.35 deb from a
Ubuntu repository...

> I found this http://www.linuxconfig.org/building-kernels-the-debian-way
> - the comment down the bottom with the script - looks promising. going
> to give this a try.

If you do use that script, you should remove the embedded sudos from
it. If you do use the script as is, you might want to increase sudo's
" timestamp_timeout" value.

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
is a good guide to building a kernel the Debian way. It is written by
d-u regular and is included in the kernel-package documentation as
/usr/share/kernel-package/docs/Kernel.htm