Re: building 2.6.35

Alexander Samad wrote:
> I have had a look here
> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage,
> there is a section on building linux-kbuild - but guess what the svn
> co downloads the 2.6.34 version :(
>
> I found this http://www.linuxconfig.org/building-kernels-the-debian-way
> - the comment down the bottom with the script - looks promising. going
> to give this a try.

See also the old newbiedoc too.

  http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

> sudo CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image

You shouldn't compile using root permissions.  You don't need to use
sudo there and it is not desired.

> kernel_headers modules_image <- this seems todo most of the work
>
> So my thoughts were to start out with .config from 2.6.34 make
> olconfig it and then customise it from there.

Yes.  Start out using the previous config and then build the new
kernel using that as a starting point.  I have previously built
kernels using a command line like this (where "-2" is the second
custom build):

  $ fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -2-686-custom modules_image

If you want to set the concurrency level then the right shell syntax
is to put that first on the command line.

  $ CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -3-686-custom modules_image

Bob