Re: What to put on SSD

Pasi Oja-Nisula:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:27 PM,  Jochen Schulz wrote:
>
>> You might want to read Ted T'so's blog entries regarding SSDs:
>> http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/category/computers/ssd/
>
> This is where the pain starts. I started looking at this and suddenly I
> was up to my neck in partition boundary alignment calculations. But
> I guess I finally managed to get them right. Probably wouldn't have
> made a difference even if I had skipped that part.

I skipped the alignment part completely and just went with the defaults
(from July 2009). I don't have the feeling that this imposes a
performance penalty like what is reported with the new 4k hard disks.
But I didn't test that.

> So far so good. Bigger programs like OpenOffice and the like start
> noticeably quicker, but the difference is not as big as I thought. I'll
> see how the system feels once I get home transferred also.

What about boot time? My laptop (Thinkpad X200) boots up in less than
ten senconds (boot manager to GDM).

J.
--
I am on the payroll of a company to whom I owe my undying gratitude.
[Agree]   [Disagree]